01 dezembro 2008

Mr. Brain and Mr. Brawn



Tien Doan expressed his love for the country with his traditional costume that dates back to the Hung kings
The man who has catapulted Vietnam on to the summit of a world beauty contest for the first time combines the aesthetics of the body with calisthenics of the mind.

The winner of the Mister International 2008 held in Taiwan - Ngo Tien Doan – the first time ever that a Vietnamese man has won an international beauty contest, spoke with Thanh Nien Daily on his return last Thursday.

Thanh Nien Daily: What made your victory possible? What is your mission as a Mister International? What is the difference between a Mister Vietnam and a Mister International?

Ngo Tien Doan: The Mister International title has become the marker of a modern ambassador for man in this world. I will continue to stand proud, breaking boundaries and defining what it means to be a man in the 21st century. The man should be savvy, goal-oriented and aware. The contestants display these characteristics in their everyday lives, both as individuals who participate in the pageants to advance their careers, personal and humanitarian goals; and as men who seek to improve the lives of others. I think I was recognized because the judges were able to see the uniquely Vietnamese and the common international character in me.

For the one year that I will fulfill my mission as Mister International, I will promote the contest’s prestige and engage in social and charity work in several countries including Vietnam. Now I am not only the Adonis representative of Vietnam but also of countries of around the world. My mission as Mister Vietnam is to promote Vietnam’s “hidden charms” to the world.

You have been working as a professional model and a lecturer of mechanics at Can Tho University. Your students say you are intellectual and strict in class. Your fans say you are a skillful performer. Which is the real you? How do you reconcile the two very different careers you are pursuing?

I started modeling three and a half years ago because I found out I love the concept of “beauty.” I also have a passion for artistic photos and especially like to challenge myself in new ways.

There is still a stigma attached to male models in Vietnam and rumors and innuendo based on the actions of a few people abound around us, while the majority of us do good work. My colleagues and students respect and encourage what I have been doing. To me, the differences combine in a way that makes things more solid and excellent. For instance, a house cannot be considered beautiful nor attractive if it has a square structure without flexible curves.

Do you still aim to go abroad for higher studies? With your academic and social roles, you would be a leading candidate for scholarships.

Pursuing higher education has been my ambition for a long time. I have one year ahead in Singapore to fulfill the Mister International mission, which provides me with the opportunity to enhance my English language skills. I am aiming at a post-graduate scholarship in Mechanics in a developed country.

Can you say something about your career plans?

Like any lecturer, I very much want to gain up-to-date knowledge to teach and train my beloved students in the most effective and useful way. My endeavor is part of what all my colleagues at Can Tho University have been trying to do – improve the quality of education in the Mekong Delta region.

Although you are not a professional designer, you designed the traditional costume that won rave reviews at the Mister International contest. Do you nurture ambitions of becoming a fashion designer?

As my exclusive sponsor at the Mister International pageant, HCMC’s Venus Fashion Company has helped me all the time, including offering me the services of some famous fashion designers. However, I had such a long time (half a year) to prepare for the pageant, and as a model who loves the catwalk a lot, I thought I should be able to make a costume by myself. I am neither trained to be a designer nor a tailor but I have great national pride and worked on the traditional costume that dates back to the Hung kings, to showcase our traditional history and culture of thousands of years to international friends. I just wanted to express my love for the country from the bottom of my heart, and am not targeting a career in designing. I respect the contributions and creativity of all homegrown designers.

Are you in a new relationship after the split with your long-time girlfriend who has gone to the US for a masters degree? How do you feel about love and marriage? Who is an attractive woman in your eyes?

I am waiting for a new love to knock on the doors to my heart. I am attracted to an intelligent woman who is a social, has career ambitions, and especially, who is faithful in her love for me.

I think a man should have a good position in his career to be able to support himself and his family before getting married.

Can you tell us how to have a healthy, stunning body like yours?

I think we should not put pressure on doing exercises. Please think of playing sports as your relaxation. Playing football, running, jogging and gym are very helpful. Most importantly, live your life optimistically and get rid of any harmful habits like smoking.

Vu Khac Tiep, director of Venus Fashion Company: “Tien Doan is a serious and professional model who is never conceited though he has been honored with international and local awards. I had put my beliefs and expectations in him at the Mister International 2008 pageant but could not imagine that he took the top prize. His victory has opened a new stage for Venus in particular and for Vietnamese beauty, Vietnam’s modeling and fashion industry in general. Doan’s achievement encourages Vietnamese models to try to learn to practice to be more recognized internationally.”

Award-winning designer Vo Viet Chung: “I was really happy when Tien Doan won the Mr. International title. Vietnamese have been waiting for a decade – since the country started to send its representatives to the world pageants – to receive the first-ever top honor on the international stage. With his talent and good personality, I believe Doan will contribute to promoting Vietnamese models and the fashion industry to the world.”

Reported by Luu Hong

http://www.thanhniennews.com/

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário

Quantos?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

.



Blog criado em 8.8.05. Contagem de visitas desde 19.08.07