21 dezembro 2008

Gabrielle: Government not understanding Miss TT’s role

By MELISSA DASSRATH Sunday, December 21 2008


Gabrielle Walcott, the second runner-up in the Miss World pageant 2008, fears the worst for the future of Miss Trinidad and Tobago. The 24-year-old beauty queen who represented TT on December 13 in South Africa, said, “It is very sad that we do not invest in our national heroes and that our Government does not have the foresight of the potential of Miss TT.”

According to Walcott, this lack of funding will impact the future of Miss TT and cause many potential delegates to abandon their dreams of representing their country. “When I was a little girl I used to dream about being Miss TT and that was only made possible by funding. Peter Elias put out of his own pocket to finance my preparations for this pageant. I would not have wanted my dreams to be sabotaged by something that is out of my control. If there continues to be a consistent lack of funding a lot of girls will be forced to give up their dreams of being an ambassador to our country on the world stage.”

She said that Miss TT serves to set a good standard for a generation that is disoriented by foreign media. Walcott stated, “Our Government fails to recognise the role of Miss TT as a positive example for young people who are exposed to the influences of Britney Spears and Paris Hilton.”

Furthermore, she said that young people are impressionable and will generally emulate adults. Walcott said the remedy for many of society’s ills stems from neglecting the youths, “A lot of the problems in our country could be solved if the Government started investing in youth.”

She praised Elias for making it his personal responsibility to ensure that she was prepared and provided with everything, “I never felt pressured because of the financial limitations. I must thank him for that.” As for his retirement, Walcott said he certainly left his mark on everyone he worked with, “Peter Elias ended his career on a high note. He has had an amazing run. He had the winning formula. We are definitely losing one of the greats.”

Looking back on her experience representing TT at the Miss World pageant, Walcott considers it one of the most memorable moments in her life,“It was an amazing experience, also every aspect of it was very well-rounded. Like, we went from an African Safari in the desert to meeting dignitaries in ball gowns.”

Walcott said that the pageant night was unforgettable. She said that she felt a little unnerved backstage, but was very at ease on stage, “You know, I was not nervous at all on stage. I felt nervous back-stage because I was rushing to get into my gown and find my jewelry. But once I was on stage I was able to pick out my family in the crowd. It helped me to feel calm and confident.”

Given a second chance at the crown, Walcott said there is not a single thing she would have done differently, “I am completely happy with the outcome. I am 100 percent proud of my performance. Although, I would have loved to finish my answer because my quote was strong. But everything happens for a reason. Still, I think the judges had a good idea of who I was.”

When asked what was the single most interesting person, place, or thing that she had the opportunity to meet, learn or experience, she said, “While we were on the safari tour, we visited Entabeni which means ‘place of the mountains’. It was breathtaking. We interacted with some of the South African wild animals there.”

In summing up her entire journey from model to Miss TT and Miss World, Walcott said, “It was a long journey. A journey of growth that culminated in a lot of personal development. I learned a lot about myself. I became mature, confident, passionate, secure and it strengthened my character. It was, undoubtedly, a pivotal year in my life.”

The challenges and triumphs that came along the way taught her certain life lessons also, “I struggled with being Miss TT from time to time. It was exciting getting the star treatment. The beautiful clothes, hair and makeup. But it quickly becomes old. Those are just superficial things. They cannot make you happy. I learned to dig a lot deeper than the physical.”

Throughout the period of preparation to performance, though, she indicated that she boldly remained true to herself, “I discovered that the true meaning of Miss World is strong character, inner warmth and genuine goodness and not just outward appearance. So I went into this with the understanding that I am going to be myself, but I also know that I am not perfect. So I surrender to allowing myself to develop.”

Responding to rumours about pre-pageant breast augmentation, she said, “That is a private part of my life. The two things you never ask a woman are to reveal her age and her beauty secrets.

http://www.newsday.co.tt/n

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário

Quantos?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

.



Blog criado em 8.8.05. Contagem de visitas desde 19.08.07