10 fevereiro 2006

A universe of opportunity

PAGEANT DREAMS: Emma Newcomb, 22, of Colac, joined 14 other Miss Universe hopefuls in Geelong yesterday.
Saturday, February 11


FIFTEEN young women will stride down a catwalk in Geelong today to start a journey to claim the universe.

And a diamond-encrusted tiara. And world-wide attention. And the Miss Universe title.

The Miss Universe competition hits Westfield Bay City at 1pm and Ballarat's Tenneill Vanrooy will be part of the parade.

The 18-year-old, a catwalk debutante, has no plans for world domination. She's seen the movie Miss Congeniality and is keen on ``world peace'', but today she just wants a piece of the action.

``One of the (competition) scouts came up and asked me to register as I was having lunch,'' Miss Vanrooy says.

``. . . I'll be pretty nervous I suppose. I won't tell anyone because it'll ruin my focus.''

Her laugh is infectious and her friends join the happy chorus beside the registration desk.

``You look gorgeous,'' a mate says. ``Do you want to put on your lip gloss?''

Two women from today's preliminary final in Geelong will win selection to the Victorian final in Melbourne on Wednesday night. Judges will then choose four finalists from the field of 30 to take part in the national event on April 7.

The Australian winner earns a berth in the international event in May, televised to hundreds of millions of people worldwide, and the chance to claim the Miss Universe crown.

Miss Vanrooy is not looking to the winner's crown. She's not even looking past this afternoon, with its catwalk prowl and public interview.

``I'm realistic, I don't see what these people see in me,'' she says.

Emma Newcomb, 22, of Colac, will join her in the Geelong parade. She's having a go after a scout approached and thinks it'll be fun to try the catwalk.

``I've watched the event on telly. I really enjoy it,'' Miss Newcomb says.

Sarah Pook, 19, of Ocean Grove, has modelled before. She says the event's a challenge. She likes a challenge.

``You've got to have fun ... I think I'll be all right (with nerves),'' she says.

geelonginfo.com.au

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário

Quantos?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

.



Blog criado em 8.8.05. Contagem de visitas desde 19.08.07