The Associated Press
BEIJING — The newest Miss World is from the United States.Eighteen-year-old Alexandria Mills was named the winner in Saturday night's contest in southern China.
Second place went to Emma Wareus of Botswana, and Adriana Vasini of Venezuela came third.
The host country's own contestant, Tang Xiao, also was among the final five.
According to a brief biography on the Miss World website, Mills calls Louisville, Ky., her hometown, and she recently graduated from high school. She would like to become a teacher.
"I've never met a stranger and enjoy meeting new people," she says in the bio.
Women from more than 100 countries participated in the contest, organizers said.
This is the 60th year of the Miss World Competitio
Alexandria Mills (seated) of the US is crowned as the 2010 Miss World by 2009 Miss World Kaiane Aldorino from Gibraltar during the Miss World 2010 Beauty Pageant finals at the Beauty Crown Theatre in the southern Chinese resort town of Sanya on October 30, 2010. Miss United States, was crowned Miss World 2010, ahead of Botswana's Emma Wareus and Venezuela's Adriana Vasini at the beauty pageant.
Top 5 Finalists
* China - Xiao Tang
* Ireland - Emma Britt Waldron
Top 7 Finalists
* Italy - Giada Pezzaioli
* Norway - Mariann Birkedal
Top 25 Semifinalists
* Bahamas - Braneka Bassett
* Canada - Denise Garrido
* Colombia - Laura Palacio
* France - Virginie Dechenaud
* French Polynesia - Mihilani Teixeira
* Germany - Susanna Kobylinski
* Kenya - Natasha Metto
* Mongolia - Sarnai Amar
* Namibia - Odile Gertze
* Netherlands - Desirée van den Berg
* Northern Ireland - Lori Moore
* Paraguay - Egni Eckert
* Puerto Rico - Yara Lasanta
* Russia - Irina Sharipova
* St. Lucia - Aiasha Gustave
* Scotland - Nicola Mimnagh
* South Africa - Nicole Flint
* Thailand - Yuwaret Sirirat Rueangsri
- Miss USA and Miss World 2010 Alexandria Mills (2nd L), first runner-up Miss Botswana Emma Wareus (L) and runner-up Miss Venezuela Adriana Vasini (3rd L) celebrate at the end of the 60th Miss World pageant Image Credit: Reuters