30 setembro 2010

Canadian beauty competing for Miss World

By DHARM MAKWANA, QMI Agency

After winning the Miss Canada pageant earlier this year, Denise Garrido's eyes are on the ultimate prize. (CARMINE MARINELLI/QMI Agency)
After winning the Miss Canada pageant earlier this year, Denise Garrido's eyes are on the ultimate prize. (CARMINE MARINELLI/QMI Agency)
VANCOUVER — Like many young women, Denise Garrido is taking a break from higher education to see what the world has to offer.

“I knew that I wanted to do something different,” the 23-year-old said. “I wanted to travel. I wanted to have some kind of adventure. I didn’t know exactly how that adventure would start, but definitely winning the Miss World Canada title has exposed me to new things that I wouldn’t be able to do otherwise.”

In May, Garrido was crowned Miss World Canada in Surrey against a field of more than 30 hopefuls in the national pageant. The event raised nearly $100,000 for Variety – The Children’s Charity.

“New things” for the Ontario native currently includes a fitting with Yaletown fashion designer Sandra Chung before heading off Thursday for a month-long sojourn to China where she will compete against more than 100 contestants for the Miss World title.

In a tour that will take her to Beijing, Shanghai, Inner Mongolia and tropical Hainan Island for the pageant final in Sanya, Garrido, who is traveling with four suitcases, said despite the hectic schedule she was expecting a warm reception from the Chinese.

“I tried to educated myself on China, that way I could have that mental preparation when I arrive,” said the biomedical science graduate.

“There’s been a lot of change in China, a lot of growth,” she explained. “By wanting to create growth you have to have an open mind for that growth.”

Win or lose, Garrido hopes to continue her volunteer work benefiting children’s charities.

“I would just be doing any kinds of events that are charitable,” she said. “I’ve always been involved with charities throughout my life.”

http://www.torontosun.com

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário

Quantos?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

.



Blog criado em 8.8.05. Contagem de visitas desde 19.08.07