01 agosto 2010

Meeting the queens: Earth and Universe come together for Pika


zz up!




Louis J. Paulino/For Pika

Naiomie Santos, Miss Earth Guam


Louis J. Paulino/For Pika

Vanessa Torres, Miss Universe Guam


Louis J. Paulino/For Pika

Vanessa Torres, Miss Universe Guam


Louis J. Paulino/For Pika

Vanessa Torres, Miss Universe Guam



Related news from the Web
Latest headlines by topic:
• iPod

Powered by
On Sunday, July 11, the lobby of the Hilton Guam Resort and Spa was crowded with gawking tourists. Folks were lining up to see the island's newest attractions, Miss Universe Guam, Vanessa Torres, and Miss Earth Guam, Naiomie Santos.
Torres, 24, and Santos, 17, were at the Hilton for their first lunch interview together, just for Pika. Since both ladies will soon be off to Las Vegas and Vietnam, respectively, to compete in the international Miss Universe and Miss Earth pageants, there's no better time for you to get to know them.
Standing at approximately 5 feet 10 inches, Santos has no problem being seen in a crowd. When she's wearing four-inch heels along with a very tall, and sparkly, crown, she looks down on all before her with ease -- figuratively, of course. Next to Torres' petite frame, Santos is more like the statue of liberty, sans her torch.

Recognition

Both queens say they hope to bring recognition to Guam as a place of beauty, hospitality and diversity.
While Santos will focus her platform on expanding children's minds with education, Torres wants to concentrate on "cultural preservation," she says. "Our island is going through so much change ... I don't want us to lose our identity by forgetting our culture."
Torres and Santos' individual voices are a reflection of where they are in life. With the typical voice of a teenager, Santos' responses are optimistic, punctuated with "so, like, you know's," thrown in for flavor.
Torres is a little bit more pensive, focusing and thinking through before commenting on a question. While their beauty is expected, both women are also extremely friendly, easy-going and eager to represent their island with pride.
During their reign, Torres and Santos hope to accomplish a lot. From recycling to outreach programs, they plan on drawing attention to issues they're passionate about.
After her reign, Santos plans on joining the Air Force. Torres hopes to enter college and study pediatric nursing.
And just how are these two preparing for their upcoming competitions? By hitting the gym and the books. Well, maybe not real books.
"I'm always online researching everything," says Santos. "I'm really focused."
In then end, it's not about winning for them. Torres simply hopes to represent Guam the best way she can while making lots of international friendships. Santos hopes to walk away from her competition with more confidence and poise from the experience, she says.
This tidbit is for readers dying to know what the queens ate during our lunch interview: Nothing. Both queens seemed content to dine on air and sip water. To get to know Torres and Santos even better, read the following excerpts from the rest of our Q & A session:
Pika: Do you have any special beauty tricks that you learned from the pageant?
NS: Oh, health! Keeping yourself healthy. Eat well. Drink well. Drink water all the time. ... Health is very important ... that's where your beauty is from.
VT: I learned that Vaseline really helps when you're smiling!
Pika: Did either of you spray starch on your butt to keep your swimsuit from riding up?
NS: I did but it didn't help. ... I did it three times. It did not help. Once I started walking it just moved.
VT: I used hairspray, actually. ... It worked at preliminaries, but pageant night I guess I didn't use enough, so it didn't stay as well as it should have.
Pika: Vanessa, you used hairspray? What brand?
VT: Yea, hairspray works. As long as it says extra hold you should be okay. ... (I used) Aquanet! But extra hold! That night, my hairdresser helped me spray my butt so that my swimsuit could stick ... I was walking out and posing one side started to kind of ride up and so that's kind of embarrassing ... showing half your butt to the crowd.
Pika: What part of your body do you think is most attractive and why?
NS: That would be, I guess, my behind. It makes me feel more womanly and feel more confident. ... I love curves. Curves are beautiful.
VT: I would say my eyes, because it's the most expressive I think.
Pika: What are you most insecure about?
NS: My stretch marks, but everyone has them. When we had our first photo shoot I did not want to be in a bikini. And when I saw the girls -- they all have them too. We're all human, we're all girls.
VT: I wouldn't say that I'm insecure about anything specifically because, well, I've come to accept that nobody's perfect. You have your flaws and you accept them, that's what makes you who you are as an individual, and it's what makes you unique from others.
Pika: If your house caught on fire, and you could only take one thing out what would it be and why?
NS: I would take a picture frame of my family because I cannot afford to lose memories.
VT: Okay, one would definitely be my Kindle because I love to read. ... It's an awesome iPod for books! That's what I call it. You don't have to wait for books if Bestseller doesn't have it. You can download them right away into your Kindle, so that's what's awesome about it. (The other) would be my laptop because -- I'm a nerd -- I love to play World of Warcraft.
Pika: Tell me something no one else would know about you, or something they would not expect.
NS: I will open up a dictionary and read up on it. That might be the weird thing. ... I wanna increase my vocabulary.
VT: They wouldn't expect that I was a tomboy growing up. A lot of people know me as the girly-girl and so to know that I was the girl who liked to ride her cousin's four-wheeler around the front yard -- yea, no one would expect that. And I would still do it again. It's fun!
Pika: Vanessa, as a former tomboy, do you have a favorite sports team?
VT: Well, I do have a soft spot for the Miami Dolphins. ... Growing up I would always see that team on T.V. when my Dad would watch sports and so since then I've just always had a soft spot for them.
Pika: If you were stuck on a deserted island with one person, who would it be and why?
NS: It would be the love of my life -- if I find him.
VT: I would have to say either George Lopez or Carlos Mencia. ... If you're stuck on an island, you don't want to be sad and wonder when someone is gonna rescue you. You want to at least have some kind of fun there! So, I would want either one of them.




Originally published August 1, 2010
 
http://www.guampdn.com

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário

Quantos?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

.



Blog criado em 8.8.05. Contagem de visitas desde 19.08.07