29 maio 2009

Miss USA tours Wilmington schools



WILMINGTON – During her first trip to Wilmington since earning the Miss USA title, 22-year-old Kristen Dalton is visiting area schools, including her alma mater Hoggard High, to encourage kids to work hard and make smart choices.

"I never drank alcohol, never. I never smoked," Dalton said.

While at home, Dalton will be singing at two sporting events and promoting research for breast and ovarian cancer. Despite her hectic schedule, Dalton said she's happy to be home.

"This is where the dream all began. I started out as Miss Greater Wilmington, and then went on to become Miss North Carolina, USA, and now finally I'm Miss USA," she said.

Her mom, Jennie Dalton, said her daughter has been preparing for this moment in the spotlight for years.

"She started when she was three years old," Jennie Dalton said. "This is something she's always wanted. She had to watch everything she said and did."

Dalton said she prefers this type of attention compared to the controversy Miss California endured after the Miss USA Pageant.

"I don't think it took away from the spotlight at all, because that's not really something I'm competing with, is the kind of publicity she's getting," she said.

With her hometown crowd rooting her on, Dalton is getting ready to compete for the Miss Universe crown on Aug. 23 in the Bahamas.

"It makes me feel so secure and so safe whenever I'm away in New York City and when I'm traveling the nation to know that I have such an awesome, strong backbone in my hometown," she said.

After her reign, Miss USA wants to be a motivational talk show host and a goodwill ambassador to the United Nations.


http://www.news14.com/

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário

Quantos?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

.



Blog criado em 8.8.05. Contagem de visitas desde 19.08.07