28 abril 2009

Miss India finalist in Kochi



First Published : 28 Apr 2009 11:01:00 PM IST
Last Updated : 28 Apr 2009 10:15:29 AM IST

KOCHI: What images flash across your mind when you think of the Scotland of India, Coorg? Besides its misty hills, lush green forests, orange groves, acres of tea and coffee plantation and breathtaking views, the hill station is now also famous as Miss India finalist Sonia Aiyapa’s hometown! Says a beaming Sonia who was in the city recently to walk the ramp at the Josco Fashion Mantra in Loungevity in The Avenue Regent, “Mine is a small community. No one from the Kodagu community has ever taken part in the Miss India contest. That was all the more reason for me to get encouragement and support from my family and friends.” The beauty goes gaga when asked to tell us more about her community. “Our women have a typical style of wearing a sari with the pleats coming behind.There were hardly any intercaste marriages but now things are changing.Pork is a must in every ceremony, be it birth, marriage or death!” Fo r Sonia who star ted modelling in her first year in college the contest came as a revelation after the Miss South India contest (“I made friends with Parvathy Omanakuttan here”) where she was adjudged Miss Photogenic.“The Miss India contest is an experience to cherish. Learning things like speaking gracefully to etiquette and walking the ramp, we had a great time at the grooming session in Juhu. We had the opportunity to mingle and hang around with many celebrities including Arjun Rampal, Dia Mirza and Aditi Govitrikar.” Ask her how life has changed after the contest and Sonia says, “Life is pretty much the same except that I have bigger brands coming to me now.” The model of Navaratna jewellery and Nalli silks had Kingfisher Airlines approaching her after her entry to the finals of Miss India. “I did try my hand in tinseltown and played a model in a Kannada film. But I find the pressure in the industry too much to handle,” says Sonia. She has also walked the ramp for Tarun Tahiliani, The model is all praise for Miss India World 2008 Parvathy Omankuttan, who went on to become the first runner up of Miss World 2008.“She’s cool! I met her the other day at Kozhikode at the inauguration of the Westlife showroom. We were together for more than a month at the grooming sessions of the Miss South India and Miss India contests.The best thing about her is that she imbibes the positive points from people she comes across.” Sonia is into a CD business apart from her modelling assignments.“I’m not a 9-to-5 kinda person. So a friend and I joined hands to make corporate training CDs,” says Sonia, who graduated in travel and tourism from Jyothi Nivas college (“There are many Malayalis there.So I know bits and pieces of your language!”) Sonia has a number of plans up her sleeve. “I want to do a diploma course in food and wine management from Australia.Kodagu women make wine at home.I want to help them market and sell it profitably.” Sonia is grateful for the support her family has offered in her career.“My brother works in Dubai. He came down to see me at the Miss India contest. But I’m yet to confirm if he came to see me or check out the other girls!” she says flashing a lovely smile. “Mom is my biggest critic. She often ends up rating herself higher than me and says she would have carried it better than I did.” Is Madhur Bhandarkar’s ‘Fashion’ a true portrayal of the glamour and grime of the modelling industry? “The film showed only a few aspects of the industry. There’s more to it.” A pause later, Sonia says, “We need to be street smart, look sweet and extract payments without looking bad or sounding harsh.” This is the second time that Sonia is in Kochi to walk the ramp for designer Rajesh Shetty. “But I’m yet to explore the city. I hope I can go sight seeing and take in the beauty of God’s Own Country at least this time.”parvathynayar@gmail.com


http://www.expressbuzz.com/

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário

Quantos?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

.



Blog criado em 8.8.05. Contagem de visitas desde 19.08.07