25 novembro 2007

Miss Malaysia eyes world crown

A recent UQ political science and economics graduate is using the Miss World contest to promote her country and raise child rights issues.

Ms Henry
Ms Henry

Miss Malaysia Deborah Henry wants to end poverty and put Malaysia on the map when she vies against another 100 women for the Miss World crown in China next month.

The 22-year-old has been busy modelling and preparing for the final since being crowned Miss Malaysia in Kuala Lumpur in May.

“My focus now is very much on getting enough dresses, practising my talent, putting together a charity video and reading up on Malaysian info and facts,” Ms Henry said.

“It's definitely going to be a great experience and it is an opportunity to voice our opinion and represent our countries.”

Ms Henry beat 16 Malaysian finalists based on her decorum, punctuality, personality and public speaking.

She said she was shocked to win considering she was a last-minute entrant and almost fainted during the pageant opening.

She sponsors children from Mozambique, India and China and is also helping World Vision Malaysia reach its goal of sponsoring 5000 children by the end of the year.

“I am a child rights advocate and currently speak to inform and create awareness among the Malaysian public, something which is lacking,” she said.

She said Malaysia was a developing nation that should be recognised globally not just as somewhere north of Singapore or below Thailand.

She has modelled since she was 17-years-old in London, Brisbane and Kuala Lumpur and has now learned to deal with snipes and stereotypes about beauty pageants.

“Many people still sound shocked that one can be beautiful and smart,” she said.

“Thankfully I have good genes. But, I don't eat junk food, I try to eat healthily and I work out a few times a week at my local gym.”

This is her first pageant and the last for the Miss World competition.

Ms Henry lived at Albany Creek while in Brisbane and said she enjoyed UQ's mix of old and new at the St Lucia campus.

“I liked the additional exercise when travelling to my next class,” she said.

“I love the weather, and the laid back lifestyle. Mostly, I enjoyed the sincere and fun loving people I met.”

Her long-term goal is to become a journalist and host documentaries focused on development and poverty-related issues, possibly related to her sponsored villages.

“Studying political science really solidified my principles on justice and equality and I want to work towards creating a more sustainable world for those less fortunate,” she said.

Ms Henry is currently living in Malaysia while splitting her time between full-time modelling and obligations for the pageant.

“I have many friends who are former Miss Malaysia's, and now it feels like I belong to the club. I also feel proud to be representing Malaysia,” she said.

The 2007 Miss World winner will be announced on December 1 in Sanya, China.

MEDIA: Miguel Holland at UQ Communications (m.holland@uq.edu.au)

http://www.uq.edu.au/

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário

Quantos?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

.



Blog criado em 8.8.05. Contagem de visitas desde 19.08.07